Dogs and cats are primarily carnivorous animals, meat being the basis of their diet. Although fruits and vegetables can be added to their food in small amounts, some are found to be toxic to dogs and cats . Find out which ones.
Toxic fruits for dogs and cats
Certain fruits are to be absolutely banned from dog and cat food, such as:
- Avocado : rich in vegetable fats and toxins, it is very toxic. Its ingestion causes digestive, respiratory and cardiac disorders.
- Grapes : raisins or fresh grapes are to be avoided. Ingestion of grapes can cause kidney failure.
- Gooseberries : cause the same troubles as grapes.
- Pits and seeds : apples, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, lychees … Their pits and seeds are dangerous and can even be fatal.
- Citrus fruits : lemon, lime, grapefruit or orange are not recommended due to their high sugar content.
- Cherry : contains highly toxic cyanide.
- The tomato plant : especially the stems and leaves can cause serious intestinal problems.
Dangerous vegetables for dogs and cats
Certain vegetables are rich in fiber and vitamins and constitute a good food supplement for the dog or the cat, while others represent a real danger, in particular if they are consumed in excess:
- Onion and shallot : their ingestion can cause anemia and respiratory problems.
- Garlic : contains the same toxic substances as onion.
- Leek : also contains trisulphate.
- Chives : ditto.
- Rhubarb : rich in oxalic acid, this vegetable causes nervous and cardiac disorders.
- Beetroot : also contains oxalate salts, real poisons for animals.
- The potato : raw, it causes severe digestive disorders because it digests poorly, like the sweet potato.
- Cabbage and turnips : cause severe gas and diarrhea.