Cats are purely carnivorous animals, and therefore digest vegetable fibers poorly. However, they can still eat some fruits and vegetables in small amounts. The latter should obviously not replace meat, which is the basis of the cat’s diet, but can be given as small treats for example. History to change a little kibble! On the other hand, be careful to learn about toxic foods for cats , including grapes, cabbage or turnips, to avoid any risk of intoxication to your hairball.
Good to know : a balanced diet that provides all the essential nutrients your cat needs is a guarantee of good health! The key word:respect your nutritional needs. Therefore, it is recommended to give priority to animal proteins, vitamins and minerals and to limit fat.
The fruits you can give your cat
The fruits should always be given to your cat, diced, peeled and in very small quantities. Also remember to give him only organic fruit . However, some are too rich , like bananas, and should be banned from your feline’s diet.
Also, be aware that fruit juices are not recommended , even with a low sugar content. Cakes, such as strawberry pie, crumble or apple pie, are also to be banned. Likewise, citrus fruits , such as orange, grapefruit, mandarin or even clementine, are generally not appreciated by our feline friends. In question ? They are too acidic for their taste buds…
The most digestible fruits for your cat are :
- Watermelon , for its moisturizing properties. Note that watermelon rind is recommended for the cat purging process.
- Melon , similar to watermelon.
- Strawberries , rich in fiber and vitamin C. Note that the most colorful fruits and vegetables, particularly red fruits, are the richest in vitamin C.
- Peach , whose taste is much appreciated by cats.
- The apple , ideal as a treat.
- Pear , for tea time.
Vegetables you can give your cat
Like fruits, vegetables should be given in small quantities (fruits and vegetables should not exceed 15% of the total diet of the cat) and never raw . Indeed, it is important to always cook or boil them before giving them to your cat in order to facilitate its digestion.
In addition, certain vegetables are dangerous for your feline, such as onion, garlic, beetroot, sorrel, spinach, lentils and beans or even leeks.
The most digestible vegetables for your cat are :
- Carrot , rich in fiber and vitamins. In addition, this vegetable also acts on the hygiene of the teeth of the cat.
- Green beans , rich in fiber and vitamins and with moisturizing properties.
- Green peas , rich in vegetable proteins, magnesium and vitamin B12.
- Lettuce , rich in fiber and hydrating.
- Pumpkin , to be mixed with meat.
- Sweet potato , also to be mixed with meat.
- Cucumber , very hydrating.
Video: 5 Foods You Didn’t Know Were Good For Your Cat! Vegetables and Fruit That Your Cat Can Eat!